Changes to the RTFO (Road Transport Fuel Obligations) set by new Biofuel targets to increase FAME content in fuel from 5% to 8% in January 2019.
Please see below some key points and information regarding the change.
Main problems of increase in FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester)
- Fuel Shelf life will be greatly reduced – discolouration, deposit lay down in storage
- Water content of fuel will increase – poor perform ace and potential for fuel water emulsion leading to filter blockages
- Cold weather performance will be reduced – leading to a likely increase in frequency of waxing issues
- Layering in tanks – separation of crude and bio leading to irregular fuel performance, early waxing of bio component and blocked lines and filters
- Can encourage growth of diesel bugs
Fuel Storage Conditions
- Install new and clean filters regularly
- Close and check filling points to prevent water ingress
- Routinely drain tank bottoms
- Keep tanks as clean as possible, sludge and water can build up quickly in a short space of time
- Keep tanks topped up and don’t let them run too empty too often
- Use additives such Gas Oil supreme and Gas Oil conditioner
For more information, please contact your local depot.